Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Flats and Handwashing Challenge Day 3

I am taking part in the Second Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry.  For 7 days I will be using only flat cloth diapers and handwashing them in an effort to prove that cloth diapering can be affordable and accessible to all.  You can learn more about the rules and why this challenge was started by visiting the announcement post.  This year there are over 450 participants from all over the world!  

Day 3- How Do You Use Your Flats?

When it comes to diapering for me, the more simple the better. 99% of the time, I have just padfolded. Basically, folding into a rectangle and laying it in the cover. #3 is so wiggly and on the move, I don't have time to do anything else! Plus, he has broken out in a rash, thinking Roseola, so he is super crabby, fussy, and feisty. I did manage to do a little fancier of a fold yesterday with him. I "think" its the angel wing fold.... but I could be wrong. I guess I will have to look that up! Poor kid. Look at that rash!


Now, I have to say, flats still aren't really my favorite, yes they are super versatile, and I am starting to like them more, especially just padfolding, they are a great supplement to my prefolds. I have also come to find out, that I really do like using flats for a night time diaper! I have mentioned before, I use 4 super old Fuzzibunz pocket diapers, that the PUL has completely worn off of, as nighttime fitteds. They are great because I can stuff them fat, or thin, and it doesn't matter, they work great. I can stuff with natural fibers, or microfiber, but it always has the fleece stay dry which we need at night for #3. I can also see us using these while camping, since we are getting a little pop up camper and all :-)


Now, on to today. Today was a craptastic sort of day. #3 was up the ENTIRE night last night! I am not even joking you. He woke up at 11pm, and I didn't get more than 5 minutes of sleep at a time until after 4am. It was horrible. He was awake, then he was crabby and awake, then he was inbetween awake and asleep and super crabby. Miserable I tell ya. So today was rough. At least he got a couple good naps in! We still stuck through it and rocked the flats, oh and did I mention, I watch my nephew and friends kids?! So I had 3 boys in flats today.. Thankfully, I don't have to wash that many diapers though! Phew! I'm just tired thinking about it! Today was also a rainy day, so hangdry inside on my drying rack took a lot longer than outside on the line. Twelve flats is NOT enough. I am going to try my hardest to stick it out with that many for the rest of the week, but I may use an old crib sheet and maybe get 2 or 3 more out of it to supplement, at least while I am washing and drying!

So, I am going to end here, I am tired and desperately need some sleep. Tomorrow is another day, and I think I am going to try something other than the plunger and bucket method.

2 comments:

  1. A crib sheet? I didn't know they were absorbant enough to be used as a diaper. Are the other 2 boys' parents participating as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, its cotton, and most flats are cotton :) I haven't tried yet, I gotta dig it out still. :)

      Delete