Monday, May 21, 2012

Flats and Handwashing Challenge Day 1

So Today is the first day of the 2nd annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge by Dirty Diaper Laundry. A whole week of using flat diapers and handwashing.

Day 1- Why are you taking it?
I will admit, besides making sure I had a bucket(actually a kitty litter pail from my mom), 12 flats-6 Osocozy ones I bought for $8 from someone local and 6 receiving blankets, and some detergent that will be easy on my hands and the diapers-some leftover Rockin Green Hard Rock, I am totally unprepared. But that's the way I wanted it! I only have ever used flats literally 2 or 3 times. But I didn't want practice with them, because in all honesty, this challenge is all about learning for me and what I would do if I didn't know anything besides disposables, and I was forced to use cloth. Learning what it would be like to all of a sudden be out of money for diapers and improvising. That's what it's about right? This is the story that I believe was some of the spark for doing the challenge last year. Its incredibly sad what some parents are forced to do and have to choose between buying food or diapers. Getting the awareness out there that cloth can be a great option even if you  have to hand wash, is better than letting your child sit in a dirty diaper all day or reusing disposable diapers that can make your child sick.
Another reason I am doing this challenge, is that it IS a challenge! Who doesn't love a good challenge?! I love all my pretty cloth diapers, and washing them, because it's EASY. I simply put the dirty ones in a bag until wash day, then dump in my machine. At the end of the week, will I love cloth diapering even if it's so labor intensive? My guesses are yes I will, but I will have a much bigger appreciation for my washing machine and my countless cloth diapers!


4 comments:

  1. I am dying to try the osocozy flats!! Maybe next year:-)Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, So far so good! I have only padfolded them, but they are working great!

      Delete
  2. you should write about doing the challenge with 3 kids for daycare!

    ReplyDelete